Friday, February 18, 2011

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday

I set out to do 3 spots last night.
Emcee/ Open the show at the Comedy Club Downtown with Kevin Shea
Do a Guest set for Joe Piccirillo of Conan or Bust at LOL
Perform at the Stand Up and Rock at NightRocker

Breakdown of Spot #1

Emceed at Rivercenter with Jay Lafarr and Kevin Shea. The Wednesday show went Great. I can how well I do when people want to take pictures with me, and I'm just the opener. Thursday was another story. It was a smaller crowd, which really doesn't bother me. But it was an older crowd, they werent as willing to let out the belly laughs as Wednesdays group. (At least for my set ). Jay and Kevin still did well. Kevin interviewed some crazy old guy towards the end of his set that I think just bewildered him. Insane. Then the same old dude came up to me after the show to give me jokes to use. Thanks. After the show Kevin and I head to LOL where I was going to do a guest set.

Breakdown of spot #2

Spot number was for the Joe Piccirillo "Conan or Bust" tour. Boston transplant and new headliner in the San Antonio scene Tom E. Morello is friends with Joe. Joe is trying to get a staff writing position on the Conan O'brien Show. So he and his cameraman/filmmaker buddy Peter Jackson are traveling across the country performing wherever they can on their way to California. So while they are doing all this they're also filming a documentary that I got to be part of. How cool is that? I hope some clips of me make it. We arrive to LOL to hear that the show had been called off due to lack of attendance. Which sucked, I looked forward to performing, and I felt bad both for Joe, and for Tom for setting up the San Antonio stop. I walk into the showroom to see the crew breaking down the equipment for the show. I asked Tom if he just wanted to move the setup to my 3rd stop of the night to NightRocker. Joe's ears perked up and wanted to hear more about it. I told him about NightRocker, made some calls and we were on our way.

Breakdown of Spot #3

After a trip down Hwy 281 with Tom E. Morello and Kevin Shea we get to Nightocker where Like most times Im greeted with a Lonestar and a shot of Perrito Tequila. We talk to my Good homie Javier Bazaldua about Joe doing a show there. A couple comics go up and try to get the crowd engaged. Some did better than others. Kevin saw a comic he liked and asked him to do a guest spot for Fridays shows. So we hang out talking show, waiting for Joe and Peter to get there. The Band there that night is playing a set and its loud and ridiculous in there. Not a lot of people but I dont think a lot of them cared for the music. The "Conan or Bust" crew (read 2 people) show up and start setting up cameras for establishing shots and interviews and what not. We decide on a lineup to to perform more comedy after the band. I decide to bite the buillet and go first. I never mind doing. To me stage time, is stage time. Great Venue, shitty venue if its got a stage and people there Im performing. So I get on stage do a couple golden oldies (of mine) and try to work on a new bit that kinda worked out, but still needs help. I knew I was being filmed so I tried to say AlexAnsel.com a couple times. I bring Tom up, who's got an awesome voice. Operatic almost, and funny to boot. He brings Joe Piccirillo who has a multimedia setup with a slide show presentations. I laughed my ass off. It was a perfect audition for the type of Humor I love the Conan show for. I cant wait to see the documentary, not just because me and my friends might be in it, but because I want to see more of Joes' matieral. I really hope he makes it to California in one piece and gets a job on the Conan O'brien Show. Afterwards I get interviewed on camera, turn on the charm and sales pitch. I explained what happened tonight, What NightRocker is and Why Joe should be on Conans writing staff. It all came from the heart (albeit Tequila drenched) and looking forward to seeing the final product.

As if the night couldn't get any better when I got home, there was an email waiting from me from the Manager at an IMPROV asking if I could do a show this Wed, the 23rd. Hells Yeah. Hard work and hustling pays off.




No comments:

Post a Comment