Monday, March 15, 2010

Some slight progress.

I am lucky to have the friends in Comedy that I have. Hanging out with other comics is something I enjoy immensely. Second only to performing on stage. However my regular friends always complain to me that I never hang out with them. This is true. Being a comic, is not a job, it's a lifestyle. Hanging out is part of the game. The constant ribbing and one ups is kinda like mental gymnastics for comebacks and creative thinking. I relish this. We do it in my family all the time. Thats why I feel like I fit in (no pun intended) that comedy is something Im supposed to be doing. But when you're used to hurling insults left and right with like-minded people and then try to hang out with non comics, I'm looked at as an asshole. This is true, Ive been told that Im always on... that is true to a certain extent. It's my defense mechanism. Growing up, I had to be the funny likable guy, who was quick to join in making fun of others so that the kids wouldn't turn and make fun of me. In school, classmates would ask me if I got mad at people calling me KOOL-AID. Never, it made me popular if anything, I embraced. I took what some might consider a weakness and made it my strength. I took the power of the teasing away by being KOOL-AID.



So I hosted my first week at the new LOL Comedy club with two other comics that I wish to work with many more times down the line. The feature comic and I share a certain, "White, suburban, over-polite nerds, that are misusing their college degrees to tell jokes" -ness .He's a cool dude (even for a northerner). He even talked to me while I was taking a shit, I feel ever since then. "we're boys". (Yes, the door was closed). The headliner, was a ball of pure frenetic soulful take no nonsense energy. It was a ton of fun to watch someone with that much energy kill every performance whether its 12 or 220 people, each show was different and amazing. My Dad came out to the show and had a great time, the most fun he'd ever had at one of my performances. Unfortunately the Sunday show was canceled due to lack of sales. It gave me time however to prepare for the finals of "The Funniest Person in South Texas" competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment