Sunday, February 28, 2010

New Year New Opportunities.

Had another slump that came along with the Holiday Blues.Then at the beginning of February I snapped out of it doing what I love to do. Getting on stage and making people laugh (while keeping my clothes on mind you). Had a decent set at Rivercenter Open mic, which then turned into a chance to become part of a Showcase at Rivercenter the day before Valentines Day. Looking at the Lineup I realized I was the comic that had the most stage time/Experience. You couldn't tell by watching the whole show, the Host, and other performers all did a great job. I happened to fill in for a fellow comic who was hospitalized at the time.
I hit the ground running again (not literally of course) and entered a comedy competition a few days later. I was nervous because it was my first competition and the first time performing at the main stage at the brand new Comedy Club in town. A lot of my friends were in the competition with me. The night was plagued with an overwhelmed host, and lighting difficulties that made having a smooth show difficult. I performed second to last. I had to rush my closer, and feared I was disqualified for going over the time allotted. Walked off stage the Manager of the Comedy Club asked to see me after the show. I felt like a little kid again getting told he needs to go to the Principals Office. The show is about to wrap up and my name along with two others were called to advance to the finals of the competition. I was overjoyed and relieved at the same time. I hung around the club a bit with my comic buddies as they were congratulating me. I want to do well in the finals for them.
Before I left the club I went to go meet with the manager, he approached me with the schedule in hand. I knew more good news was coming, but I played it cool. He asked if I had been scheduled at the comedy club downtown, and told him yes that we confirmed it a few days earlier. He told me he gave that slot to another comedian. I had an "Oh I see reaction" but before I could finish though the Manager tells me that "We" want you to work at the new club. I was blown away again, damn twice in one night? Whats next Hilary Duff is gonna drop that restraining order on me? I kinda saw this as a promotion as sorts. Having only hosted twice downtown, then being asked to step up to the new club was a big deal to me. So yeah Tuesday February 16th was a good day for me. Got to move on to the Finals, and asked to emcee a week at the shiny new comedy club in town. This Stella got her Groove back.

No comments:

Post a Comment