Saturday, April 23, 2016

Tommy Munoz

This Month was full of ups and downs. Had a Chance to attend Wrestlemania, but opted to go back home and take care of some things. 

Early on Monday April 11th, I saw my Friend, fellow comedian Tommy Munoz was in the Hospital for Cardiac Arrest, and later died. It shook me to the core, I haven't lost someone so close to me in a long time. I could do nothing but sob.  I felt helpless, the only thing I could think of to do was, get drunk as hell. Get rid of the pain. I decided to go to Costco Liquors, because If I'm gonna self medicate, might as well do it in bulk and on a budget. I got a Deuce of Mikes Hard Ice Tea with Mango in a mexican koozie (paper bag). On the way to the Liquor Store we had a tire blowout. That wasn't gonna stop me. Worried the cops might actually do their job to pull and help, I downed the entire contents of the 24oz can. Once at the store, I almost spent a $100. I got the Biggest Bottle of Jack Daniels they had along with, a Case of tallboy German Beers and 2 Flasks of Jack for On the Go Drinking. 

My Roommates, 2 out of 3 knew Tommy, helped me commiserate. The other was there to bond, and "Hey Whiskey and Day Drinking Sign Me Up". We started passing the bottle around and downing beers, at 2:30 in the afternoon. Sharing Memories and Stories of Tommy. Tommy was vital, early in Stand Up Comedy "Career".

Tommy vouched for me, to get a spot on the Midnight Madness Showcase, and Later helped me get my 1st week at the Rivercenter Comedy Club. Before then, I never considered myself a "Comedian", I was a guy who did Comedy. I felt it untrue to be a Comedian, if I wasn't making money on it. Not that money is the motivation, Tommy also tapped me for a bit part on the "The Cleto Show" a Locally produced sit com about a comedian Talk Show host. I did 2 or 3 episodes as "Crew Member #1". I don't know if He wanted me on camera to make him look smaller? or if they needed at least 1 white person on the show. Another bit we filmed for the show, was a Rap Video in a Pawn Shop. We wore bling, had pimp cups and rapped about all the items you could get at "La Pulga" (Spanish for Flea Market). Within 30 days, I went from being a guy that sold TV's to being on them, and getting paid to do comedy in a Comedy Club. This was about September of 2009.

Earlier that Year, I started getting back on stage more and more. Especially at the Rivercenter Comedy Club Open Mic that was on Fridays at 5:30. After an Open Mic, a Manager came up to me and asked me to fill in for an emcee that night. I declined, telling him I wasn't ready. When Tommy found out he scolded me. He told me "Say Yes to Every Gig, EVERY SHOW, Say Yes". He asked me why I turned it down, I told him, I didn't feel ready". "Fuck That Shit, If You suck, its their fault for booking You. I better not hear you say no again." Tommy Replied. Ever since then I say Yes to EVERY gig. 

Low Rider Festival?
YES
Perform in Corpus Christi Texas for $25?
YES
Singles Mixer on a Rooftop Lounge?
YES
Lunch Time show at a Retirement Home?
YES
Perform on a Patio after a Spurs Game 7 loss in the NBA Finals?
YES
Headline a Comedy Show in a Flea Market?
YES
Do Comedy outdoors on a patio of a Pizza Place on the West Side of San Antonio?
YES

I will always say yes, If I have the night open, I'd rather be on stage than anywhere else. 


A friend of mine came up to me and told me this:

"People we love and work with, especially in the entertainment industry that are super talented and gifted, when they die, leave a void. So we have to be better to honor them. We have to be better for them."


That struck a cord with me. Tommy was supremely talented. He had the sharpest mind, and the quickest wit, I've ever seen in a person. If my Mind is as fast as a Corvette, his mind was The Flash on Meth. his synopses and neurons just fired way faster in his brain, than I could ever imagine. Get Tommy on a stage and he did nothing but massacre. He could handle any crowd, if they  were uptight white people, or rowdy urban black rooms. I've seen him kill everywhere. He made it look so easy too. My Dad always told me "The ones that make it look easy, are the ones that work the hardest."

Thursday the 14th They had a Tribute Show/Fundraiser for Tommys' Family at The Laugh Out Loud Comedy Club. Before the show started Tommy's Mom asked me "Are you Alex?" Yes Ma'am, Im so sorry for your loss". "Tommy Loved You" She replied. It took everything I had not to crumple into a million pieces at that point. In the Green Room, were about 20 Comics waiting for instructions. The Host , Larry Garza asked, "Who wants to go up after the Video?" The Video being a Compilation of Photos and Videos of Tommy. This would be the Toughest spot to do after everyone is crying. Without Hesitation, I raised my hand, and everyone kinda had the thought of "Couldn't think of anyone better suited to do it".

I went up and did some of Tommy's jokes as a tribute. Talked about How Tommy got me my 1st week at the club, 1st TV appearance, 1st Rap video, and about how the 1st time I did cocaine was with Tommy at his Uncles, Backyard bar, affectionately called "The Barn". I managed to get through my set without breaking down. When I saw the Light, I told the audience about something Tommy would always do.

Tommy: OWWW GODDDDDAMMIT!

Me: Hey Man, You okay? you Hurt?
Tommy: Yeah, I just have a Big Dick

Fell for it. every. single. goddamn. time.

Friday, the 15th I was booked to Headline a Show in Austin. I had a really strong set and enjoyed the hell out of myself. Got a Great reaction from the crowd, and handed out a lot of cards afterwards. On the ride home, I realized, that those 20 mins I was on stage was the 1st time since his passing I wasn't thinking about Tommy. I was living in the Moment, really Commanding my own existence, if that makes any sense.

Saturday, I was part of another tribute show. My spot kept getting bumped, By the time I got on stage I was frustrated and let the other comics have it. I basically roasted all the other comics there. I thought to myself, this is what Tommy would have done. His family was in the audience and they cheered me on as I let every other performer have it. I then did some of my material and got off stage.

Then Sunday came, the day of Tommy's Wake at the Laugh Out Loud Comedy Club. I was there early, because I had to teach my Driving Safety Course. I wish I could've cancelled class that day. Seeing all the grieving people walk in and out while I'm warning the people of the dangers of texting and driving. While putting on a video for my class, I'd go and sit in on the service. The Videos, Slideshows, and Family members talking about Tommy Made me lose it. I wept like a baby at an orphanage. Then I'd wipe my tears , blow my nose and check in on my class. At 4:00 when Class was over I put on a button up shirt and sat in on the service. They had taken a break to serve food. I was upset because I didn't get to go on stage and talk about Tommy at the wake. But the Emcee assured me, it was just a break. While wandering around and hugging everyone I could find. Tommy's sister, came up to me and yelled this: "Hey, We're tired of fucking crying, get your ass on stage and make us laugh, Cuss, do whatever, I dont care about the kids in here, that's the parents problem, Go up there and make us laugh, Right Dad?". as she pointed to their Dad. Dad just gave me the head nod. "And do that Honey Boo Boo thing, That shit is Hilarious".

Fighting back the tears, I went on stage and talked about my friend and all he did for me. About how we would always talk wrestling, and Happy he was for me that I was Sharing the Stage and touring with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Before We went on tour, Tommy called me at 2am and asked If I could get an autograph, or a note of encouragement from Jake. I told Tommy, "Dude, consider it done". On the last day of the tour, Jake wasn't feeling too good. Add that to the horrible service we received at IHOP, I didn't want to bother Jake. At the time, Jake and his Manager made it clear to me, that they wanted to work with me again in the future. So I thought, "Man, I'll get him something bigger and better than a note, just you wait and see Tommy".

I'm filled with regret knowing, I'll never have that chance.

After the service, My old roommate Murphy and his Lovely wife Stasha took me out to lunch. I needed the distraction, (and food) before I went on one last bender for Tommy.

Tommy You've taught me a lot about comedy, but recently more about life. It's made me realize I have to make changes in my life. Losing Tommy has been a Wake Up Call from Hell. I don't want to do that to my friends. Part of me is upset that Tommy didn't take better care of himself. I don't want to to that to people. I Love You Tommy Munoz.

So now, I have to be better, 

For Tommy

For Myself.

ROCK ON


Tommy Vs Me on the set of The Cleto Show Fall 2009

December 2011 Tommy Photobombing Me and Waiter Todd Larson

Tommy's Wake at LOL Comedy Club Sunday April 17th.




No comments:

Post a Comment